[Rhodes22-list] Re: Fully Battened Mainsail From JSI W/O Modifying The Masthead

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 05:59:13 -0400

Richard & Toad,

After I wrote to you last night, I was looking over some of my design
calculations from the mainsail upgrade project.  There is another option you
might want to consider if you don't want to modify the backstay attachment
point on your masthead casting as I did.

The backstays run at a nominal angle of 63.6 deg relative to the horizontal
when attached at the standard point on the masthead casting.  My backstay
extension moved the top attachment point of the backstays aft by about 5".
The same amount of reduction in backstay/leech interference can be achieved
by reducing the luff length on the mainsail, thus lowering the height
achieved at maximum mainsail hoist on the mast.

    Tan(63.6 deg) = (Delta Y) / 5
    (Delta Y) = Tan(63.6 deg) * 5 = 10"
    New Max Luff Length = 21' 8" - 10" = 20' 10"

I opted not to take this option because, all else being equal, it would have
reduced the mainsail area by almost 4% & I was being greedy.  I wanted it
all; maximum possible mainsail area, maximum possible roach, maximum
possible mainsail aspect ratio, etc.  However, if you are not handy with a
MIG welder or find the notion of modifying your masthead casting abhorrent;
then, you might find this reduced luff length option more attractive.

Remember that all the measurements used to build this mainsail are specific
to my 1976 Rhodes 22 & may not be appropriate for your newer boats.

This is what happens when engineers go sailing...

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium