[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Richard F Sheehan rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:49:15 -0400

----__JNP_000_41cd.11c8.7aa7

Todd;
1.   My boat is an older model and the goose neck is free floating....and
has no "position".  What method of positioning the boom do newer boats
have?
A:  Mine is like yours, I cleat it off so that it won't rise when I raise
the main.
2.    This question is more important because I was going to be making a
new rudder.   The previous owner had made the one on there now.   The
rudder actually pivots down so far that it goes slightly past vertical
and starts to angle forward.  Is this by design?
A:  Yes.  The boat should steer effortlessly with the rudder in this
position.   Might I ask why go to the expense and trouble of making a new
rudder?  Even if it is chewed up some, you can use bondo and a sealer to
repair the one you have.

Dick

CPT Richard F. Sheehan
PO Box 117
Wellfleet. MA 02667-0117
PH: 508-349-3096
dickshee@juno.com
----__JNP_000_41cd.11c8.7aa7

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Todd;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px =
solid">
  <DIV>
  <P>1.&nbsp;&nbsp; My boat is an older model and the goose neck is free=20
  floating....and has no "position".&nbsp; What method of positioning the =
boom=20
  do newer boats have?</P>
  <P>A:&nbsp; Mine is like yours, I cleat it off so that it won't rise when=
 I=20
  raise the main.</P>
  <P>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This question is more important because I was =
going to=20
  be making a new rudder.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The previous owner had made the=
=20
  one&nbsp;on there now.&nbsp;&nbsp; The rudder actually pivots down so far=
 that=20
  it goes slightly past vertical and starts to angle forward.&nbsp; Is this=
 by=20
  design?</P>
  <P>A:&nbsp; Yes.&nbsp; The boat should steer effortlessly with the rudder=
 in=20
  this position.&nbsp; &nbsp;Might I ask why go to the expense and trouble =
of=20
  making a new rudder?&nbsp; Even if it is chewed up some, you can use =
bondo and=20
  a sealer to repair the one you have.<BR></P>
  <P>Dick<BR><BR>CPT Richard F. Sheehan <BR>PO Box 117<BR>Wellfleet. MA=20
  02667-0117<BR>PH:=20
508-349-3096<BR>dickshee@juno.com<BR></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

----__JNP_000_41cd.11c8.7aa7--

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!