[Rhodes22-list] Boat stuff

ellner rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:26:55 -0500

--=====================_621690531==_.ALT

Well said, Bill!  ...........maryAt 01:08 PM 8/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Michael,
>
>There has been a subtle change in the list over the years with regard to
>who can say what.
>
>Initially it was kind of a free for all with the understanding that
>blatant advertising from people with no connection to the list was prohibited.
>
>Subsequently, SailNet made a rule that no one with a commercial interest
>could offer anything for sale. Suddenly list members with boats to sell,
>and even Stan, were furtively posting advice and information, not knowing
>if they had violated someone else's rule.
>
>Next thing we knew, SailNet purchased a small mail order supply house, and
>was using every name it had collected in the guise of providing an
>email-hosting service, as its mailing list.
>
>Then SailNet started to monitor the lists, filtering out attachments, and
>objecting to any text that potentially threatened their exclusive license
>to market to people on the list.
>
>Next SailNet sent email to everyone on the list suggesting we had an
>obligation to buy from them because they were hosting our list or else
>they might have to shut us down.
>
>The new list gets us back to where we were.
>
>Of course, Elton can send us information about what he's doing.  That's
>what this list is about, and knowing Elton, I'm sure he will find things
>that we all will want.  (He gave me some folding seats that fit perfectly
>in an R-22 that are, to this day, called "Elton's Seats" on my boat and
>are used virtually every time we go out.)
>
>Elton is right to ask permission, and we are right to grant or deny
>permission on an individual basis. I have full faith in the ability of the
>system administrator to handle the situation, just as I have full faith in
>list members to advise the system administrator if they feel he has
>handled a request badly.
>
>As you suggest, we all consider Stan, & Elton, and others, personal
>friends who have gone out of their way in the past to help everyone on the
>list. I welcome anything they want to post, and would gladly go out of my
>way to buy from them, and return the favors they have extended to me, in
>any way I can.
>
>Bill Effros

--=====================_621690531==_.ALT

Well said, Bill!&nbsp; ...........maryAt 01:08 PM 8/28/2002 -0400, you
wrote:<br>
There has been a subtle change in the list over the years with regard to
who can say what.<br>
Initially it was kind of a free for all with the understanding that
blatant advertising from people with no connection to the list was
prohibited.<br>
Subsequently, SailNet made a rule that no one with a commercial interest
could offer anything for sale. Suddenly list members with boats to sell,
and even Stan, were furtively posting advice and information, not knowing
if they had violated someone else's rule.<br>
Next thing we knew, SailNet purchased a small mail order supply house,
and was using every name it had collected in the guise of providing an
email-hosting service, as its mailing list.<br>
Then SailNet started to monitor the lists, filtering out attachments, and
objecting to any text that potentially threatened their exclusive license
to market to people on the list.<br>
Next SailNet sent email to everyone on the list suggesting we had an
obligation to buy from them because they were hosting our list or else
they might have to shut us down.<br>
The new list gets us back to where we were.<br>
Of course, Elton can send us information about what he's doing.&nbsp;
That's what this list is about, and knowing Elton, I'm sure he will find
things that we all will want.&nbsp; (He gave me some folding seats that
fit perfectly in an R-22 that are, to this day, called &quot;Elton's
Seats&quot; on my boat and are used virtually every time we go out.)
Elton is right to ask permission, and we are right to grant or deny
permission on an individual basis. I have full faith in the ability of
the system administrator to handle the situation, just as I have full
faith in list members to advise the system administrator if they feel he
has handled a request badly.<br>
As you suggest, we all consider Stan, &amp; Elton, and others, personal
friends who have gone out of their way in the past to help everyone on
the list. I welcome anything they want to post, and would gladly go out
of my way to buy from them, and return the favors they have extended to
me, in any way I can.<br>
Bill Effros<br>
<b>From:</b> <a href="mailto:mjm@michaelmeltzer.com">Michael Meltzer</a>
<b>To:</b> <a href="mailto:rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org">rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</a> <br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:mark@kaynor.org">Mark Kaynor</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org">rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:06 AM
<dd>I have no problem with this. Just so long as it's limited to GB and GB-affiliates, and we're not being deluged w/ ads.</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>I'm definitely not into receiving any more unsolicited advertising than I already get. Heck, it's gotten so bad I can't even look at the floor of the grocery store or the handle of a gas pump anymore w/o seeing an ad. Sheesh!</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Mark Kaynor</font>
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>&nbsp;
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:mjm@michaelmeltzer.com">Michael Meltzer</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org">rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:08 AM
<dd>First off I talked to Elton, he just got back from the boat show, His rainman legend lives :-) Days he was at the show it rained and days he took of from the show were sunny, Now people we are having a drought an all over, The odds of this being only chance are starting to sound like winning powerball :-) </font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>It seems he is gathering specially parts for sale at boat(he there anyhow :-), Like the seat cushions, LED trailer lights(like a kit for a triad trailer), hook on boat bumpers(the work nicely with curved hull), dog life vest(great for Rooney), etc. It the cute stuff that might make it into west next year or two. He ask if the could mention them on the list. He evened offend at LIST member discount :-). I think most of us know him, he a good guy and I have no problem with it. He also mentioned Stan might have some stuff he might want to post to the list. I think he called to make sure he would not upset the &quot;Morals&quot; of the list. I figured we are not that pure around here and told him to go for it, He GB family :-) I hope did not put &quot;my foot in the mouth&quot; and there are no serious objections.</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>MJM</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>PS. I get nothing out of it, the list of items from above is what I am intrested in, which I pay for, In fact most likly I think I picked up a headach, he will need a web site :-)</font>