[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:23:59 -0500

--B_3113403839_53174539

Roger,

Thanks for the input.  I think you nailed it on the head with the lee helm
crossing over to weather helm at whatever wind speed.  Lessons from an
expert wouldn=B9t hurt either.  When should I expect you?  :-)

Slim
S/V Fandango

On 8/27/02 9:46 PM, "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402@centurytel.net> wrote:

> [...]
> boat or steering too much or not reacting properly to a wind shift.  Doin=
g any
> of these can cause the weak laminar flow to separate from the sails &/or =
hull
> & cause a turbulent stall, which then requires several boatlengths for th=
> stalled flow to reattach itself & resume laminar flow.  Basically, you mu=
st
> first learn how to sail & adjust the sail shaping controls in heavier air
> where there is some feedback thru the controls & the flow patterns are mo=
re
> robust.  Then, you can apply what you've learned to light air.  But, you =
are
> still adjusting the controls without any feedback because you simply "kno=
w"
> what the correct shape looks like.  It's sort of a "Luke, Close Your Eyes=
 &
> Feel The Force" kind of thing".  If you were hoping for it to jump up & b=
ite
> you, then please realize that's not going to happen.  I don't think it's
> possible to teach this skill hands off via the internet.  It would be ver=
> helpful for all of you that are having this problem to get out on the wat=
er
> with an expert sailer & have them show you what to do in a hands on learn=
ing
> environment.
> =20
> Several people on the list have reported light air lee helm with the 175%
> genoa & the IMF mainsail.  From a design standpoint, this sail plan
> configuration is certainly the one that would be expected to have this
> problem.  It's got the biggest headsail & the smallest, least powerful
> mainsail.  Dynamic Equilibrium does not have this sail plan configuration=
, so
> I can't give you specific instructions what to do.  But, if it were my bo=
at
> with this problem & the adjustments I suggested in my previous post didn'=
> work, then I would get first get back to basics & verify that Newton's La=
ws of
> Motion still work.  I would lengthen the forestay to the maximum adjustme=
nt
> possible, shorten the backstays to match, & then see if I still had light=
 air
> lee helm.  If I still had lee helm, then I would start adding shackles to=
 the
> forestay to lengthen it even more.  Don't worry about the appearance of t=
he
> mast rake, you've got to get the sail plan's center of effort somewhere i=
n the
> right ballpark first.  Once I had the light air lee helm banished, then I
> would see how the feel of the helm changes when the wind speed increases.=
  You
> may like what you find, but you may just as likely find you've introduced=
> strong dose of heavy air weather helm.  In that case, you're going to hav=
e to
> live with a crossover between lee helm & weather helm & make a decision h=
ow
> much of each you want & what windspeed you want the crossover point to oc=
cur
> at.
> =20
> Light air lee helm may just be the favored mode of the 175% genoa & IMF
> mainsail sailplan configuration.
> =20
> Roger Pihlaja
> S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
> =20

--B_3113403839_53174539

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Roger,<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for the input. &nbsp;I think you nailed it on the head with the lee =
helm crossing over to weather helm at whatever wind speed. &nbsp;Lessons fro=
m an expert wouldn&#8217;t hurt either. &nbsp;When should I expect you? &nbs=
p;:-)<BR>
<BR>
Slim<BR>
S/V Fandango<BR>
<BR>
On 8/27/02 9:46 PM, &quot;Roger Pihlaja&quot; &lt;cen09402@centurytel.net&g=
t; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Steve,<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">First of all, let me admit somethi=
ng. &nbsp;I absolutely hate teaching people how to sail in light air. &nbsp;=
The effect of everything that one does in light air sailing is subtle &amp; =
there is virtually no feedback thru the controls. &nbsp;In addition, it's ve=
ry easy to screw everything up by not sitting still on the boat or steering =
too much or not reacting properly to a wind shift. &nbsp;Doing any of these =
can cause the weak laminar flow to separate from the sails &amp;/or hull &am=
p; cause a turbulent stall, which then requires several boatlengths for the =
stalled flow to reattach itself &amp; resume laminar flow. &nbsp;Basically, =
you must first learn how to sail &amp; adjust the sail shaping controls in h=
eavier air where there is some feedback thru the controls &amp; the flow pat=
terns are more robust. &nbsp;Then, you can apply what you've learned to ligh=
t air. &nbsp;But, you are still adjusting the controls without any feedback =
because you simply &quot;know&quot; what the correct shape looks like. &nbsp=
;It's sort of a &quot;Luke, Close Your Eyes &amp; Feel The Force&quot; kind =
of thing&quot;. &nbsp;If you were hoping for it to jump up &amp; bite you, t=
hen please realize that's not going to happen. &nbsp;I don't think it's poss=
ible to teach this skill hands off via the internet. &nbsp;It would be very =
helpful for all of you that are having this problem to get out on the water =
with an expert sailer &amp; have them show you what to do in a hands on lear=
ning environment.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Several people on the list have re=
ported light air lee helm with the 175% genoa &amp; the IMF mainsail. &nbsp;=
>From a design standpoint, this sail plan configuration is certainly the one =
that would be expected to have this problem. &nbsp;It's got the biggest head=
sail &amp; the smallest, least powerful mainsail. &nbsp;Dynamic Equilibrium =
does not have this sail plan configuration, so I can't give you specific ins=
tructions what to do. &nbsp;But, if it were my boat with this problem &amp; =
the adjustments I suggested in my previous post didn't work, then I would ge=
t first get back to basics &amp; verify that Newton's Laws of Motion still w=
ork. &nbsp;I would lengthen the forestay to the maximum adjustment possible,=
 shorten the backstays to match, &amp; then see if I still had light air lee=
 helm. &nbsp;If I still had lee helm, then I would start adding shackles to =
the forestay to lengthen it even more. &nbsp;Don't worry about the appearanc=
e of the mast rake, you've got to get the sail plan's center of effort somew=
here in the right ballpark first. &nbsp;Once I had the light air lee helm ba=
nished, then I would see how the feel of the helm changes when the wind spee=
d increases. &nbsp;You may like what you find, but you may just as likely fi=
nd you've introduced a strong dose of heavy air weather helm. &nbsp;In that =
case, you're going to have to live with a crossover between lee helm &amp; w=
eather helm &amp; make a decision how much of each you want &amp; what winds=
peed you want the crossover point to occur at.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Light air lee helm may just be the=
 favored mode of the 175% genoa &amp; IMF mainsail sailplan configuration.<B=

</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Roger Pihlaja<BR>
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><B>From:</B> Steve Alm &lt;mailto:s=
alm@mn.rr.com&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org <BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, August 27, 2002 5:13 PM<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm<BR>
<BR>
Roger, Joe, Mary Lou, others,<BR>
<BR>
I while back I posted a question regarding my lee helm. &nbsp;I have the IM=
F /175. &nbsp;When I=92m under full sail in light winds, I usually have a lee =
helm. &nbsp;Although I agree that this is not a big problem in light air, it=
 still just doesn=92t feel right. &nbsp;I tried raking my mast back. &nbsp;Dis=
regarding the advice to go in half inch increments, I lengthened &nbsp;the f=
orestay about an inch and three quarters; so much that I can easily see the =
aft rake of the mast when I stand at the dock looking at the boat from the s=
ide. &nbsp;Amazingly, I noticed little, if any, real change in my helm! &nbs=
p;I=92ve experimented with the rudder rake and concluded that it works best if=
 it=92s all the way forward. &nbsp;Anything else and the helm gets heavy and h=
arder to steer. &nbsp;I=92ve experimented with the CB and discovered that if I=
 pull it up to about half, this helps but then I assume I=92m losing my course=
 to the lee. &nbsp;For this discussion, I=92m referring to sailing upwind.<BR>
<BR>
I=92ve also been trying to correct the problem with the trim of the sails. &n=
bsp;Sometimes I get it right (I=92ll settle for a neutral helm) but it always =
seems to take a lot of tweaking. &nbsp;It=92s a given that I=92m not an expert s=
ailor, but most of the other boats I=92ve sailed have a natural weather helm a=
nd you have to try hard to create a lee helm. &nbsp;My boat tends to be the =
other way around. &nbsp;Under full sail with the IMF/175, the jib is certain=
ly overpowering the main and this just may be an inherent problem with this =
sail configuration and maybe it simply requires all this tweaking to get it =
right. &nbsp;Roger, you mentioned leech telltails. &nbsp;Can you tell us mor=
e about this? &nbsp;Exactly where are they positioned and what are they supp=
osed to do or not do? &nbsp;How about leech telltails on the jib? &nbsp;I ha=
ve luff yarns on the jib but if I reef in at all, of course, they=92re gone.<B=

<BR>
Slim<BR>
S/V Fandango<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 8/27/02 7:12 AM, &quot;Roger Pihlaja&quot; &lt;cen09402@centurytel.net&g=
t; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Mary Lou, Joe, Et All,=
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">If you are having lee helm with th=
e 175% genoa in light air, then consider trying the following before you len=
gthen the forestay:<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Slack off slightly on the mainsail=
's outhaul on the boom. &nbsp;This will increase the fullness or maximum dra=
ft in the mainsail's shape. &nbsp;In light air, increasing the draft on the =
mainsail will power it up relative to the genoa, which should move the sail =
plan's center of effort aft &amp; thus decrease your lee helm. (&amp; make y=
ou go faster as well!) &nbsp;The downside is that the new sail shape will be=
 less forgiving of sail trimming &amp; helmsman errors. &nbsp;i.e., the &quo=
t;groove&quot; will be narrower.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> &nbsp;&nbsp;+<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Tighten up the mainsail's leech li=
ne. &nbsp;This will cause the mainsail's leech to curve (&quot;hook&quot;) t=
o windward. &nbsp;This will cause the mainsail's center of effort to move af=
t, which will decrease lee helm.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> &nbsp;&nbsp;+<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Make certain you are using the mai=
n sheet &amp; traveller properly. &nbsp;Watch your mainsail's leech telltale=
s to be certain you are not overtrimming the mainsail, thus causing the airf=
low to stall. &nbsp;If you stall the airflow over the mainsail, the sail pla=
n's center of effort will move forward &amp; increase lee helm.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> &nbsp;&nbsp;+<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Make certain you are not overtrimm=
ing the genoa. &nbsp;The exhaust airflow coming off an overtrimmed genoa wil=
l blanket the mainsail &amp; induce the airflow on the leeward side of the m=
ainsail to stall. &nbsp;See above bullet point<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">If these techniques solve your lig=
ht air lee helm issues; then, it will be better than permanently raking the =
mast further aft, which will increase weather helm under all conditions. &nb=
sp;Remember, these sail shape adjustments are subtle &amp; a little bit of s=
ail shape or sail trim change can have a significant effect.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Good luck!<BR>
-----Original Message-----<BR>