[Rhodes22-list] NYC Marinas

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:10:05 -0400

> It looks like your marina is 3 hours by sea and 15 minutes by car from
where
> I will be in Brooklyn. >

Having made the passge many times, it's actually about 2 hours.  However the
currents/chop in the vicinity of Governors Island and the Battery can be
fearsome.  You may be interested in knowing that there is a resturant
landing stage by the southern end of the Brooklyn Bridge Tower in Brooklyn
Heights.

 <The 23rd Street Manhattan Marina is probably 15
> minutes by either car or boat.>

Forget about sailing in the East River.  The wind is totally disrupted by
the office towers and the current is fierce.  Not to mention the tugs,
excursion boats and other traffic,

  <I know there were plans to develop the
> waterfront in Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo, and Greenpoint.  Has there been any
> progress there?>

Not that I know of.  I would think that the foot of the Gowanus Canal (Red
Hook) would be a better place for a marina

> Any thoughts you might have about where to keep the boat on a transient
> basis, and where to sail would be welcome.>

For transient it is better to look at the N.J. places... on the Hudson.
Going South from the Lincoln Tunnel Plaza there are several along the water
front.  All are either expensive and possibly subject to wake and surge or
both.  The best sailing by far is on Raritan Bay which is bounded by Sandy
Hook and Staten Island.  Warm water steady, SW breezes  and quite a few
places to keep your boat.  I hope to move back to Raritan Bay next spring.

The next best place is Rockaway Inlet (where I sail)  Much more challenging
but cheaper to rent a slip.It costs $1,200 at the Brooklyn Gateway Marina
and $1,900 for a similar slip at Great Kills, Staten Island accross the
Baty.    Easy access from Rockaway Inlet to the Atlantic Ocean and Sandy
Hook for the passage down the Jersey Coast.

The nearest decent economical marina to Brookly Heights is right off the SE
corner of Gravesend Bay.  Not a nice area but the place seems well policed
and is very well protected from surge.  My marina is 5.25 miles further East
on the Belt Parkway.  With luck you could drive there in 15/20 minutes which
is very good for this region.

Richard Smith