[Rhodes22-list] Document library

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:52:43 -0400

<P>MJM,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for the advice.&nbsp;<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:59:08 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>most of the under 30 foot boats are under, the problem is it takes just as much effort to sell a 35 foot boat as a 22, and they more margins on a 150,000 boat then 20,000.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>That is going to bring up an other issue. You might want to read "The complete Sailor" by Seidman and "Chapman Piloting Seamanship &amp; small boat handling". Also see if you can find a local sailing course using 14 foot dinghy's (2 one week, beginner and intermitted), you are going to need some on the water work to get a "feel" for it and the small boat will make you feel it quick :-), the ASA ones can be pricy but some of the local ones are good value for the money and your are denting their boat :-) also see if the Coastguard Auxiliary and/or The US power Squadron has classes in the area, good seamanship, rules of the road and navigations courses, good and cheap, usual just to cover the costs.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Well todd free is not alway cheap :-) Lets try a easy one, where do you live and lets see if there are some Rhodies in you area. Get a look at what a finished product should look like. Then you can rebuild the boat with a stake knife and a thumbtack(McGuiver right :-) Might be able to make a rhodes22 sailor out of you yet, if you live that long :-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 4:14 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Rummy,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>You are right. I should not have gotten this boat as my first. I said I had little knowledge of sailboats not little knowledge. I can tell you this much... with a few pictures and some sketches I could build anything from junk parts. I am not McGuiver, but if I could see it....up close and in detail, I could build one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>P.S The only reason I have this boat is because it was a freebie; and I downloaded and read the manual for the Chrysler...pretty remarkable for a company no longer in business huh?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: R22RumRunner@aol.com
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Document library
<DIV></DIV>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:38:47 EDT
<DIV></DIV>The owners manual is NOT copyrighted. It is readily available to be copied
<DIV></DIV>and sent privately, for private use. However, I think if someone were to make
<DIV></DIV>copies and sell them, that would be a different story.
<DIV></DIV>Another thought, perhaps buying such an old boat, in it's present condition
<DIV></DIV>for someone with little or no knowledge, was not the best choice for a first
<DIV></DIV>boat.
<DIV></DIV>That being said, any questions you want answered will be addressed by list
<DIV></DIV>members. They are a very tolerant and knowledgeable group, just be patient
<DIV></DIV>and you too will be sailing a wonderful craft. Try finding an owners manual
<DIV></DIV>for a Chrysler sailboat sometime. At least our manufacturer is still in
<DIV></DIV>business......as of my last visit to Edenton. :) Sometimes a little cranky
<DIV></DIV>when people want something for nothing, but I kinda like him like that.
<DIV></DIV>Speaking of being in business. I have recently passed two large sailboat
<DIV></DIV>manufacturing plants in my travels. Normally you would find many hulls about
<DIV></DIV>the yard in various stages of construction or simply waiting for shipping.
<DIV></DIV>Neither yard had ANY boats to be seen. Must be tough to be a boat builder
<DIV></DIV>these days.
<DIV></DIV>Rummy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________ Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org