[Rhodes22-list] The weather.

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:10:00 -0500

In addition to most Southerners lack of experience in driving under snow or
ice conditions we have numerous long steep hills. We are at the foothills of
the Smokey's and even with experience the roads are tough to drive on.
Primary roads are marginally cleared, secondary roads almost never. They
also let trees hang over many rural roads. Even if they don't bust a limb
they shade the road so much the sun doesn't get a chance to do much good.
They warm up a little in the day then freeze up at night. You can skate on
some of the roads. Add our famous East TN fog to the mix and it really is
dicey. Luckily we don't get much of this, if I want snow I can drive 30
minutes and play in the mountains. This storm  just missed us.

Someone mentioned the blizzard of 93, we got 30 inches in 48 hours here in
Knoxville. We had rural areas without power for weeks. We only lost cable
and that was for a couple of hours. Even in my CJ with 4 X 4 and chains it
was tough to get out of my sub division. The snow was so deep in the unpaved
roads it would lift the jeep up taking weight off the wheels. It was a lot
of fun though; I had the top down and the doors off.

southern homeboy ;)