[Rhodes22-list] R22 boat buying

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:58:31 -0800 (PST)

FYI - If the boat you're looking at needs any sailwork
here's the latest numbers on sail repair.  My sails
were mostly dirty but otherwise in good shape.  They
had a weak seam to two at the clew and the plastic
windows on the genny were glazed.  The basic price for
cleaning and conditioning at SailCare was $230.  By
the time the stitching, window replacement, and other
stuff was added in the bill ran to over $500.  That's
still a lot less than new sails but something to
factor in when looking at a used boat.  Bottom coat
will run from from $50 DIY to $500 at a yard.  As
others on the list have pointed out the boat is built
like a tank and most of the problems you will
encounter will be from owner supplied hardware
(microwaves, gensets, etc.).  The only GBI provided
items that I've had to replace were the cockpit drains
and thru-the-hull plastic fittings that had gotten
brittle (about $4 each).  Not bad after twenty years.I
highly recommend the Don Casey series of books
available from any of the marine catalogs or
Amazon.com especially the one "Inspecting the Aging
Sailboat" for your needs.  Good luck on your search.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"