[Rhodes22-list] mast

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:03:06 -0500

Gene,
We got the IMF with new sails when we bought our recycled 1991 R22 Fretless
in 1998. We were initially skeptical of the IMF but Stan convinced us to
give it a try. It has a few shortcomings in the performance (lack of
battens, roach and vang) but it makes up for it in convenience. There are a
couple of tricks to getting it to furl smoothly every time (angle of the
boom (up & down and port to starboard) and keeping things lubricated - we
use Sail Kote on the moving parts and the mast slot once a season) but once
we learned those we haven't had any problems. There have been a couple of
times reefing it under load that I thought for sure it would hang up but it
hasn't. We've been very pleased.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD