[Rhodes22-list] Soliciting Practical Advice

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:25:03 -0500

I changed computers awhile back and I have not restored some files that I
have on disk.  One is my response to questions like yours.  The R22 will do
everything you are looking for in an "easy and fun" way, plus a lot more.
We've had ours just over nine years and would not trade her for anything
short of a Tartan 40 something.  {:>)

We sail nearly every weekend weather permitting.  We were out today for
about three and a half hours.  Pure joy if not a bit nippy.

Like you we bareboat in the Caribbean for a lot of our vacations.  My advise
"own small, charter large."  Makes life a lot simpler and cheaper.

I'm attaching a story which goes beyond how we primarily use our boat but it
gives you a feel for what can be done.  (If the attachments do not come
through let me know and give me your e-mail address for a direct link.)
There is also a fellow I'm told who regularly sails his R22 to the Bahamas.

Good luck on your choice.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"

SAILING TO THE DRY TORTUGAS
Ralph Rolland

Two boats set out together to sail to the Dry Tortugas.   Marilyn =
Rolland and I in our 1987 Rhodes 22 "Uff Da" from Marco Island, Florida =
and Harry Clark with friend Tom Collin in a 1981 Rhodes, "Gloria J" out =
of Naples, Florida.  Both boats are well equipped:  "Uff Da" has a 175% =
Genoa and a roller-furling main; "Gloria J" has a 165% Genoa and a =
traditional main.  Both have VHF radios, Autohelm 800 autopilots, and =
depth sounders, as well as Loran: a Ranger mounted on a bracket forward =
of the lazarette for "Uff Da"; and a Raytheon 570 loran mounted inside =
the jib box in the cockpit of Harry's boat. =20

The "Gloria J" sailed the 10 miles south to Marco Island the night =
before we left and anchored in a cove until morning.  On April 10, 1989, =
we started together through the pass into the Gulf of Mexico at 8:00 AM, =
turned on the Loran and read the bearing as 109 miles at 216 degrees.  =
The wind was from the southeast at 10-15 knots, which would be a good =
wind for the boats and the right direction.  We were heading for Pulaski =
Light at the northeast corner of the boundary for Fort Jefferson =
National Park. =20

Every two hours we checked and plotted our progress.  By noon we had =
slid to the west so we turned on the motor and motored back to the rhumb =
line.  From then on we were sailing just great until 8:00 PM when the =
wind dies.  So we turned on the motor and continued on until 2:00 AM =
when the wind came up again.  We sailed again until we arrived at =
Pulaski Light, motored first to the yellow boundary marker K, then =
continued westward to Marker J.  Now, instead of going further around to =
marker I and to the Northwest Passage into the Fort, we decided that, =
with centerboard up and a lookout at the bow, we could cut across the =
big shallow flat to the Fort.  The water was very clear, and with most =
of the depth at 3-4 feet we were able to make it, only having to dodge a =
few shoals which we were able to see clearly.  We arrived at the =
anchorage at 3:PM. =20

On the way down Marilyn made meals for us to eat in the cockpit.  During =
the night we changed watch every 4 hours.  It was very important to =
watch for the large shrimp boats out of Key West.  They were well =
lighted, looking like Christmas trees.  =20

On arrival at the Fort we immediately jumped into the Bay for a swim.  =
The next day we noticed a big barracuda under our boat - but we guessed =
he wouldn't hurt us if we didn't try to hurt him!  We went swimming on a =
beautiful sand beach by the Fort walls, toured the Fort, fished =
(catching Spanish mackerel and a small shark), sailed over to Loggerhead =
Key, and snorkeled around a submerged wreak where we saw some beautiful =
tropical fish.  Close to the anchorage is also Bush Key, a reserve for =
birds, particularly the Sooty Tern.  There are 100,000 pairs there, =
which start laying their eggs in March.  Otherwise the Sooty Tern lives =
and breeds on the wind.  For bird watchers this is a super place!

In addition to the large shrimp boats there are many smaller commercial =
fishing boats in this area.  The latter can make it into the anchorage =
for rest and protection from heavy weather.  We were told that if you =
bring along extra beer you can trade for some of their catch.  We'll =
remember that for next time. =20

After 3 days there we started back.  We motored out to the Park boundary =
and set our Loran for Naples, a bearing of 36 degrees and 110 miles.  =
The wind was still southeast at 10-15 knots, and once again died in the =
evening forcing us to motor for about 3 hours until it picked up again.  =
We sailed through the night with a full moon.  The next morning at 7:00 =
I called the "Gloria J" and told them I was changing course to 50 =
degrees, which would take us to Marco Island.  They continued on the =
Naples while we arrived at the pass at noon. =20

It was a great trip.  We had 24 gallons on gas along when we started and =
returned with 8 gallons.  And, the Dry Tortugas are dry!  No water no =
gas, no food either, so you have to carry everything.  But we had enough =
and had a great trip.

 					=09