[Rhodes22-list] Practical advice

matejcea@bellsouth.net matejcea@bellsouth.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 21:41:11 -0600

Well, Y'all have got me going now!
Last summer on a very gusty day I had the opportunity
to sail with my significant other (rare opportunity, for he
teaches sailing). He furled my 175 gennie WAY in to a
brassierre size and onto the top cleats. Dropped the traveller a bit.
We were able to cut through the waves and powered
very nicely. I was so surprised! I personally love the heeled
hard position and simply let the main out with big gusts, but this
was very comfortable sailing. You must look at sailing the Rhodes
a bit differently from standard racing boats (and I race all year on
a true racer with spinnaker). Just play around with it more than
you think it needs and you'll find some alternatives that work well.
I might also add that we beat several large boats in that configuration
that day!
Anne