[Rhodes22-list] Liquid Battens

Ronald Lipton lipton@sprynet.com
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:32:38 -0600

My mind is wandering ...

The "genoa implant" statement got me to thinking.  Could one
design a reasonable "liquid batten" system for a furling main
which could be pumped up to provide some support for mainsail
shape and then emptied for furling.  I am not sure what flexibility
is requred for sail battens.  It might be difficult to get the proper
flexibility,which would be a function of the elasic properties of the
tubing walls and the fluid pressure. One could certainly make them
quite stiff by sealing off a set of thin, rigid walls (like polyimide)
tubes filled with water.

Ron