[ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] Gas vs Liquid Battens

Ronald Lipton lipton@sprynet.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:30:45 -0600

The wing sail would have a substantial advantage, with a much higher
lift/drag
ratio than conventional soft sails, providing more power with less
heeling.
Rigid wing sails have been used in unstayed rigs (1976 Little America's
cup
for C class catamarans).  In that case the wing sail weighed twice as
much
(210 lbs) as the soft sail but was still faster in wind speeds greater
than
10 knots. However the soft sail boat won the regatta. I got this from
"The
Symmetry of Sail" by Garrett. He aso has several plots comparing the
performance
of soft sails with wing sails.

I will have to drop out of this thread for a while - driving to
Pittsburgh for
a friend's son's wedding.

Ron