[Rhodes22-list] BIMINI

lcrowther lcrowther@cox.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:41:25 -0500

Marc,
No sense to repeat Mary Lou's excellent answers so I will just add a comment
or two.
Lloyd
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Lou Troy" <mltroy@netreach.net>
To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Cc: <rhodes-list@sailnet.net>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 8:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] BIMINI

> [...]
> >will be folding it up when I leave for the day but I'm sure I'll be going
on
> >& off the boat many times with the bimini up. Do you just release one of
the
> >straps & squeeze in between the bimini & cockpit or bimini & pushpit?
>
> At the dock we regularly leave the forward pierside strap unattached. For
> us it's the forward port strap and you just get used to the steps you need
> to take to bend yourself around it.
>

> >We occassionally get transport to shore by water taxi. If we keep the
bimini
> >up while we're away (only for the day) would it be OK to leave a strap
> >unattached with the boat at anchor (assuming non-storm conditions). The
> >option would be to always fold the bimini when we're away.
>
> I think I would fold the bimini if you were going to be leaving the boat
at
> anchor. It does create significant windage. We usually fold up the bimini
> to sail in anything over 10 - 12 knots.
>
> >We also have a plastic step that we hang with line between the winch &
aft
> >horn cleat when we're using our dingy. The step hangs over the outside of
> >the boat & we use it to get in & out of our dingy. We find it much easier
> >use than the rear boarding ladder. Looks like that with the bimini up,
the
> >use of this step is out - or at least a much bigger hassle.
>
> You might still be able to use if you release the aft strap on that side
or
> if you fold the bimini forward when you leave the boat.
>
> >What bothers me most though is where the sliders for the bimini mount
want
> >to be on the jib track. That forward 18" or so is where I make the bulk
of
> >my jib track adjustments. Can the bimini be located further back on the
> >track or will the bimini then rub on the backstays?
>
> Our bimini is not track mounted. We've thought about doing this when it
> comes time to replace it but we tend to use all of our genoa track  (175
> genoa) so we may just leave it where it is.
>
> When we sail without the bimini we usually have the pop-top down and just
> fold the bimini forward. When we leave the boat after a weekend, we fold
up
> the bimini, put the cover on it and bungee it upright to the boom. Seems
> work well.
>
> You can see our bimini folded forward in the shots Mark & Julie Kaynor
took
> of Fretless sailing at the Rhodes Chesapeake Rhendezvous last spring.
> http://www.kaynor.org/Rhendezvous/mdscf0010.jpg and
> http://www.kaynor.org/Rhendezvous/mdscf0010.jpg  If you look real close
you
> can see the eyestraps (u-shaped fittings) that we clip the straps to
> forward of the rain gutter and near the aft cleat. The aft eyestraps are

"My Bimini lays further forward than the one in the picture when it is
folded down.  It clears the open hatch completely, laying just forward of
the lip on the hatch when the hatch is completely opened.  I leave it folded
down in that position when I leave the boat, relying on its weight to keep
it in place.  Has worked so far because my slip is in a very sheltered
location.  Note also I have never sailed with my pop top up and I have a
standard mainsail that I leave on the boom under a sail cover when not in
use.  These quirks probably affect how I approached the whole Bimini
question, i.e., get it out of the way when it is not in use.

I put the after eyestraps on the deck because my boat was in the water when
I installed the Bimini, I was alone, and the boats I saw at G.B. that did
not have Captain's Chairs had the after eyestraps mounted on the deck.  You
can probably do it either way you want and it will be the correct way.  I
have a 175 jib and very seldom have I moved the jib blocks more than a foot
foward of the Winch location. I tried mounting the jib block cars both
forward and aft of the Bimini mounting car and found I prefer the method I
have now but everybody does their own thing as you should.  Lloyd"