[rhodes-list] Re: [Rhodes22-list] BIMINI

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:08:04 -0500

At 05:35 PM 12/30/2002 -0500, Marc wrote:
>You said the bimini creates significant windage. I'm not surprised, but one
>of the uses I had planned for it was to leave it up when anchored & perhaps
>drape a tarp over it to try to keep the dew off the bedding. I really don't
>expect kepping the dew out to be all that successful, but I thought I'd give
>it a try anyway. But here is my question; will I be hunting around the
>anchor even more than now? I suppose that another scenario is that the
>increased windage might keep the boat pointing into the wind better.

We do leave the bimini up when we are anchored out and it helps to keep the
dew off the bedding but often collects a great deal of condensation on the
underside which sort of negates the effect ;-)  The increase windage
doesn't seem to much affect the way the boat lies at anchor. We also have a
pop-top enclosure so that is added windage at anchor as well.

>Seems like I have a choice to go with a track mounted bimini or one mounted
>in a fixed position on the gunnel. Is this just a matter of the mounting
>hardware or is it function of the total width of the bimini support tubes. I
>guess my question really is - if I'm not happy with the track mounted
>option, can I just change hardware & go to a gunnel mount?

I don't know as I've never compared ours with a track mounted one. Might be
a good question for Stan. He could tell you if he uses the same bimini when
he's installing it on the track as on a fixed mount.

>  Lastly, I only got a link to 1 photo from your previous post. Looks like
>you intended to send 2. I'd sure appreciate another view. Also, if anyone
>can direct me to any & all bimini pictures out there I'd sure appreciate it.

Oops cut and paste error. Sorry. The two pics were
http://www.kaynor.org/Rhendezvous/mdscf0005.jpg   and
http://www.kaynor.org/Rhendezvous/mdscf0010.jpg

There's also a good pic of a Texas boat with a track mounted bimini on the
unofficial Rhodes owners page:
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Gallant1.jpg
and a close up of Blew Daze's bimini on one of the Kentucky Lake pics at
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/rafting2.jpg

Mary Lou