[Rhodes22-list] Fwd: bimini-awning

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:16:04 -0500

Bruce/Steve,

I am pondering the same thing right now. I currently use a 6 X 8 brown poly
tarp over the boom and four bungees. I can't sail with it up but I do use it
when motoring on hot days or when a rain shower moves in. We also use when
we anchor, it is not perfect but it is cheap and easy and provides shade. We
also keep the tarp on when the boat at slip. It keeps the sun off my cabin
hatch. They last about 6 months then I replace with new one. The silver
tarps last longer but I had a brown one already.  Also I have furling main;
so no chafe issues like Steve mentions. I have considered adding poles (like
Rummy) but I haven't yet. If shade is all you want the 6 X 8 works fine. If
you want more protection on the sides the 8 X 10 (7 X 9?) might be better.

By the way, I have used the rain fly off an old dome style tent to serve as
a "pop top enclosure". I just laid it over the open pop top and tied down.
No windows but it keeps rain from blowing in.

Good luck and if you come up with a good idea let us know.

Wally