[Rhodes22-list] Re: bimini-awning. I'll modify what I have & forego the bimini

Karen Fiske / Marc Beroz kfiske@erols.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:45:36 -0500

Bruce & Rummy & all other helpful Rhodies;

I currently am using an awning. Wish I had a photo since my explanation may
be hard to envision, but here goes. The awning requires that the pop-top be
up. The awning can be in place when you are under sail.

I attached 2 webbing buckle tri-rings (west marine catalogue page 1045) to
the tube that holds up the aft end of the pop top. I have 1 ring on each
side of the tube. The rings are held onto the tube with stainless steel hose
clamps. I have 1 clamp & ring located at the 90 degree bend on the tube on
each side of the pop top support tube. The rings do not interfere with the
pop-top operation or hatch slider. These rings are used to hold the forward
end of my awning.

The aft  end of the awning is held by permanently mounted bamboo poles
attached to the forward end of my pushpit. The poles are about 40" long. The
lower edge of the bamboo poles is even with the lower edge of the pushpit
tubes. The bamboo is attached to the forward vertical pushpit tubes with 2
hose clamps (2 holes clamps on each side). The hose clamps get covered with
white tape for the season. This sounds like it looks awful, but it's not
really too bad. I asked people at the marina what they *really* thought &
they all said it looked fine.

To the top of the bamboo poles I attached 2 more webbiing buckle tri-rings -
one on each pole. The tri rings on the bamboo poles & the ones on the pop
top provide attachment locations for the awning.

The awning is made out of blue tarp. I made a sleeve on the forward edge of
the tarp. (You can use tarp material & double stick carpet tape to make any
shape  you can think of). Inside the sleeve I have another bamboo pole & on
this pole I have attached 2 bronze baby fixed snaps (west marine catalogue
page 981). It is these snaps that clip onto the tri-rings mounted on the
pop-top support. On my awning, the pole on the forward edge of the awning is
about as wide as the cockpit interior.

My awning is about 4 feet long. I put a grommets into the aft  corners of
the tarp.  I tied light weight bungy material to these grommets & the bungy
cords terminate at a plastic hook. These plastic hooks are used to secure
the aft end of the awning to the bamboo poles at the pushpit.

When I'm not using the awning, the tarp gets wrapped around the bamboo pole
(the pole that forms the forward edge of the awning). I unclip the awning
from the tri-rings on the pop-top support & store the awning on the v-berth.

I can deploy or remove the awning in about 30 seconds.

I was going to replace this system with a bimini since I have to take down
the awning once winds pick up to about 10 knots. Also, I wanted to get a
larger area of sun prtection in the cockpit. I was under the impression that
a bimini would also give me stand-up headroom. Now I realize that is not
so - so I think I'll modify the awning rather than going the bimini route.

Thanks everyone for your help in making this decision.

Marc
Cl;inton, CT