[Rhodes22-list] Hand-Held VHF's

Alex Bell rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:10:43 -0400

Rummy,

Speaking of VHF range, it is amazing just how far the fixed mount units
can work. I receive radio traffic on our radio from Beaufort, Oriental
and Swansboro cristal clear. Last week there was a guy tieing up channel
16 calling in what appeard to be a foreign language. Finally the coast
guard came on to talk to him and it turned out that a freigher was using
16 to call for a pilot for Morehead City. He was out in the Atlantic. I
couldn't understand a word he said, but the CG operator did. It was a
very Aribac sounding accent.....

Point is, he was probably 40 to 50 miles away from us. The CG station is
about 30, but has a tower. It helps having the antenna up there on the
mast.

Alex