[Rhodes22-list] New Guy

Michael Meltzer rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:52:59 -0400

What to look for is a long answer, but what it rally will come down to is
this:

1)Newer boat: 1-5 years, it has just been broken in, most likely still in
good shape, rally for sale and the price would turn you off.
2) until 1983+- most likely in the GB recycling program they but allot, they
will need a "mid-life" overhaul, It depends what happen when someone sell a
boat, it might have been sitting for years unused and the maintained will
slip. it does not take long sitting before allot of problem start to form,
hardware will need rebeding, ports will need rebedding, freeze damage from
water in the hull, center board area need rebuilding, end of life on
hardware, wiring, sail, lines. Gb knowing the boat know how to clean it up
to "newer" levels, novice can do it to but will take allot of time and cost
the same or more by the time their done.
3)1983-1978 if it has been recycled could be a good boat but it is rally a
maintained of the owner that makes it or breaks it, same problems of #2 but
to a much stronger level, it would not be worth it to "pay" for the repairs
it a matter of the new owner doing it, also have to watch out that you start
rebuilding the boat, strip it finding more things "while you at it" and
never finish the project, might never fall in love with sailboats that way,
it only work to you.

4)1978-1968- stay away unless it is Rodgers boat :-) GB was oem'ing the
boat, build quality is all over the place, mostly likely you spend 1500 on
the boat 6000 for new martial and walk away from the project because you
fixing the boat for a session or 2 and not sailing. really hating anything
to do with sailboats

My advice: Get a recyclied boat from gb, it will have a sound hual and be
ready to sail, Any Marjor Fails will be covered by GB Ganinutie. get a good
set of used sails or a new set, get the hull painted , a good used triler
and a new motor. Try not to load it up with options. Plain to spend a day or
2 at the factory leaning to setup and sailing the boat. Options is a good
thing you can do your self over the years and all the "Tick" it out. You get
a used boat price but not the hassles. also you lean what sailboat are about
and be ready for a "true" used boat next time.

MJM