[Rhodes22-list] rope loop

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:55:21 -0500

Richard,

Sorry, I don't know what your hemp rope is for.  Have you tried cutting it
up in little pieces and smoking it? :-)

Seriously, most of us have a "topping lift" that holds the boom up when the
sail is not in use.  It runs from the end of the boom up to the top of the
mast and then down to a cleat at the base of the mast, or in some cases,
elsewhere.  Mine is running from the top of the mast down through a little
block next to the turnbuckle of the port side aft lower shroud and then aft
through a cam cleat on the cabin roof and into the cockpit--it's very handy.
In most of the photos I've seen, the topping lift is a red line about 1/4
inch in diam.  I've never measured it but it must be about 60 or 70 feet
long. Look through you misc. stuff and see if it's there.

When we put the boat "to bed" we raise the boom with the topping lift so
there's plenty of head room in the cockpit.  Then we snug the boom down with
the main sheet to stabilize the boom.

Slim