[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Brakes Question

Dennis J Sitler rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:19:39 -0400

This is a question to Rhodies in the Chesapeake Bay area. A friend who has a
boat in the upper bay told me that the Governor of Maryland signed a law
into effect making surge brakes illegal in the state. He also said that te
fine was like $500 or more. Supposedly the law was for trucks but as it
turned out it ended up including boat trailers. I need to put brakes on my
trailer after I get my boat done ( whenever that happens). Since I live in
PA but want to sail on the bay this is a concern to me and possibly the rest
of you. I have a dual axle trailer that in PA if registered over 3000 pounds
needs brakes on all 4 wheels to pass inspection. I was going to put 4 disk
brakes and a new surge unit on it. I think this is the ideal setup for this
type trailer. I could use any information on this situation before I spend
money on something that won't be legal where I want to use it. Any help will
be appreciated.

Denny,
1974 R22 Gossamer Wing
Berwick, PA