[Rhodes22-list] Big South Fork Pictures

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 09:14:42 -0500

>Wally:
>        Thanks for the great pictures, but were is the location?
>Ed K

Ed,

Photos were taken from the O & W Bridge on the O & W Road; which used to be
the O & W Railroad. They removed the tracks years ago. It is off 297 just
West of Oneida. It is very hard to find and the entrance is not marked. From
27, go west on 297, turn left on Verdum Rd, veer right on O & W Road, and
then go about 15 miles. The road starts out as paved, gets worse and worse
and then becomes a four-wheel trail. I would recommend a pick up or SUV, the
road is pretty bad and unless you enjoy four wheeling I would stop at the
railroad bridge. A sedan can make it this far if you creep along. This is
location of the pics. Past the bridge the road crosses the river twice and
comes out on the south side of the park near Honey Creek. This road is
usually only passable in dry times and unless you are comfortable driving
through deep water I would stay clear. We drove out the way we came.

You can also get there from the Leatherwood station. Take the John Muir
trail south and hike about 8 miles.

Pics of bridge and north view.

Wally

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!

Name: bridge.JPG Type: image/pjpeg Size: 352272 bytes Desc: not available

Name: bsf3.JPG Type: image/pjpeg Size: 414313 bytes Desc: not available