[Rhodes22-list] batteries

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 03 Nov 2002 09:25:01 -0600

Brad,

I haven't had to replace my boat batteries yet, although it seems I will
before I go out again. They won't hold a charge anymore. I don't know much
about the different types, AGM, Gel Cel, etc. What I do know from
experience with 20 semi-tractors and 35 Refrigerated trailers is, batteries
that are not only labeled maintenance free, but that you cannot remove the
tops from seem to stand up far longer than the normal batteries with
removable tops.

Careful now, many batteries look like you can't remove the top and are
labeled maintenance free, but still have a flat panel that you can pry off
with a screw driver to get to the inside of the battery. These are no
better than the ones with the normal tops. On the batteries I am referring
to, there is no top to remove, no way, no how. The top of the battery is
absolutely flat, no slots, no holes, no grooves, nothing, there is nothing
that is removable. The batteries we have been using in our equipment up
till now have been group 31 Delco 1200's. I know, these are not deep cycle
and are probably too big for your battery box. I'm sure they have smaller
ones that are built the same way.

We have had this type of battery last up to 6 years in a truck, when other
types would be lucky to make it 2 or 3. If this isn't rough service, there
isn't such a thing. I don't know what makes these better, but experience
has shown me that they are.

Rik