[Rhodes22-list] Cooking

Bob Weber ruba1811@hotmail.com
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:12:11 -0600

Anne, Thanks for the cooking notes, I am more hungry now and anxious for
summer time to come back.  I bought a "Tailgaters" cookbook for my brother
(big rams fan) which limited all recipies to that which could be prepared on
a small bbq and a coleman stove in the middle of no-where - ie tailgating
parkinglot.  It is a great concept since the "authors" are forced to tell
all the logistics involved in preparing a meal under these restrictions.
The recipeis read just like yours.  MY IDEA is to make a Cruisers Cookbook -
It has been done ( almost to death ) but not with the
Pre-Preparation and all the logisticical comments necessary to cook multiple
Items with only a burner and a BBQ.  Some of these even refer to Oven
settings - the closest thing I got to an oven is the laz right before the
gas tank exploses.  Is there any Interest in putting together a RHODES 22
Cookbook - I would take care of compiling and printing - We could "Test"
recipies at gatherings.  Heck the ideas are flowing.  Stan could give one
with the sale of the boat.  ANY INTEREST.  Bob Weber

>From: "anima" <anima@apex.net>
>To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Cooking
>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:40:25 -0600
>
>Ok fellas, ya got me on one of my favorite subjects.
>I really think you're on the engineer overkill for this
>power thing.
>I only have charcoal and wished I had purchased the
>propane magma but several years ago this list went through
>such a thing about Ka-Boom that I chickened out. I have
>since cooked on many a boat and have learned the safety
>steps and feel quite comfortable (though always on the alert).
>For a weekend on Pickwick (have sailed and overnighted on that
>great water also) or KY Lake, I believe you just have to plan well.
>As Brad had leaked, I have the one-burner stock GB stove and
>a charcoal magma.
>I do the chicken (or hamburger) on Friday night. This I have in marinade
>and nearly frozen, since these are more susceptible.Next is completely
>frozen Pork tenderloin in marinade in ziplock bag for 2nd night. I will
>put potatoes in oil and lemon and rosemary in a aluminum foil packet and
>ziplock. These I place on the coals as they are started so the potatoes can
>cook. (If I am really organized, I sometimes precook 'em a ways at home.)
>My job hours are long, so rarely get that good!
>I make a mean rice and bean and corn dish (some of you had this at KY)
>and this goes in a foil packet and warms up on the coals prior to meat
>grilling also...you can always leave it on the grill when you put on the
>grate.
>  I usually save thick pieces of steak for the third day. I have one of
>those
>soft sided coolers that fits ontop of the "beer bin" in the refridge.
>I have the side opening door on fridge rather than the 'dig in from the
>top"
>that I saw at our gathering on some boats. (I like my side opener better,
>but this may be a familiarity issue) Seems easier to get a beer.
>I put one of those pre-frozen packs in the soft sider next to the meat
>along with ice that I replenish through the weekend.
>Many times even in the 90+ weather, I have to remember to get the
>frozen meat out so it will thaw and marinate or we eat very late!
>Often when I come home from store I will marinate the meat before I
>freeze it...Walla! Super organization! I like those days!
>The remainder of side dishes I store in cooler in the ever wonderful
>ziplocks and generally plan for non refridgerated treats. I have planty
>of beer storage as Brad already told you and... experienced first hand!
>Plenty of room for dinner wine in the V berth shelves.
>Plus, 5 fenders for rafting up with the big boys!
>I always tell 'em.....7.5 foot cockpit...just perfect for a single gal.
>Meanwhile they are pretty packed in on their 30+ footer cockpits!
>In the a.m. I use the burner inside with pop-top up for boiling coffee
> [...]

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.