[Rhodes22-list] genset test

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:35:36 -0600

Brad,

The microwave we got is supposed to be 600 watts. This particular model is
made by Sharp. It's meant to be used in a dormitory or efficiency type
apartment. It is almost a perfect cube shape about 13 inches on a side. I
don't know how the output rating (600 watts) relates to the input
requirement. Obviously they are not the same. The tag on the back of the
unit says it should draw 9 amps. Taken times the voltage (110) this would
indicate a 990 watt draw. Far more than half again more than the 600 watt
output. If you took the 600 watt output and divided by the voltage this
unit should draw 5.45 amps, which should be easily within the capabilities
of the honda 1000 watt generator. I guess there must be a fairly large draw
for the fans, turntable motor etc., that is not factored into the output
rating.

So, there you have it. A 600 watt nuker can draw as much as 1000 watts. I
suppose the reason the heater works is that the 750 watt output is the only
thing power is used for in the heater. No other parasites.

Don't know if there are any other microwaves out there that would be any
different. I you find one, I'd sure like to hear about it. AND, read the
spec tag, not the box. :-)

Good luck,
Rik