[Rhodes22-list] Paint

Christine Allison sailnut@asan.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:05:43 -0500

  Has
> anyone seen a "roll and tip" paint job on the topside
> and how good did it look? >

I did a boot top  (dark brown) on my last boat this way.  The result was
very pleasing.  It looked like cast plastic and still looked good three
years later.

Another guy at the same marina did an entire boat with this method (dark
blue).  The result was acceptable but that's it.

I saw CD Typhoon painted yellow, again roll and tip.  It looked awful.

Be aware that this method will produce a finish which will probably require
recoating in about 4 years.  Since most of the work is surface preparation
it would seem more reasonable to paint with AwlGrip or such.  Such a two
part finish should last for 8 to 10 years.

I have seen posts on boating lists claiming success when rolling and tipping
AwlGrip.  I have never seen any boat refinished via this process.

Richard Smith