[Rhodes22-list] Bunk Boards & Axles

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:15:19 -0500

Rik,

Thanks, that is a lot of miles. I have some trucker questions: What do long
distance drivers consider high milage, 200K a year, more??? I understand
when one trucker passes another the guy being passed flashes his brights to
signal to the passing truck he is clear. I notice the passing truck will go
back into the right lane and his rear lights (brake lights perhaps?)will
blink on and off, I guess to signal thanks. Do you guys have a seperate
switch for this, tap the brakes?

Just curious. Now back to towing ....

My comfort level is ok towing but I try to stay on alert and stop often to
check things out. I had always towed very small boats and in the case of my
sunfish we hauled around on top of the car. It was a big day when I finally
could back the Bantam into the garage with my wife's car inside. She
wouldn't let me do this but I swear I can! I can see over the Bantam but
when I back up with the R22 I always have a helper outside.

I was leaning towards adding a second axle, but I have been trying to cost
justify. I don't plan on towing but maybe once or twice a year and it would
typically be long distance. I would like to make KY Lake at least once and I
also want to get to the Northern Gulf coast. I plan on keeping my boat in
the water pretty much year round. I would think the tandem would be a safer
in a blow out but it costs more ....decisions, decisions.

My current single axle trailer really did fine on the tow down from WI and
locally here for launch. The frugal part of me says to just rebuild what I
have and add a decent axle. I also saved recent posts regarding brake
options for trailer. I am still on the fence here as well.

Can the fake wood like Trex be used for bunks?

Wally