[Rhodes22-list] Tornado

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:37:26 -0500

Ed,

Well if I had some kind of race boat Tornado might work, but not for the
Rhodes 22.<grin>

The area that got hit the hardest is about 40 miles N/W from house. A very
rural area and of course a bunch of trailer homes. They had recorded wind
speeds of over 200 mph! I think there is something like 18 dead across TN
and a bunch of people now homeless.

On the other side of the coin - I hade a great sail Sunday with a couple of
hours of great weather. The forecast was for a windy partially Sunny day
with 20% chance of rain. I got rained on for 15 minutes and then it cleared
back up. The last time I got caught in a rain/hail storm I tried to make it
back to slip and lost the race. This time I was smarter and by the time the
rain cloud reached me my sails were furled and I was in the closed cabin. I
was in the center of the lake so I didn't bother anchoring. The tiller was
tied down and I hardly moved at all. The wind was blowing upriver. As I sat
inside I  had time to spot some leaks in ports, I guess I am going to have
to reseal ...

It is amazing how fast weather can change. Kind of sobering thought, mother
nature provided me one of the nicest sailing weekends of the year, she also
changed the lives of many others 40 miles away by providing Natures's
version of hell on earth.

My heart really goes out to these folks.

Wally