[Rhodes22-list] Docking lines and life jackets

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:08:57 -0500

Dan:  You may want to check you contract with the marina as many will
specify a minimum size depending on the size of the boat.  Also, I believe
Chapman and the Annapolis seamanship books give you some good information on
line sizes.  The marina I'm in currently specifies minimums sizes and I've
looked into another that also sets a minimum size also depending on the size
of the boat.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to enforce the standards though
as I've seen some pretty poorly sized lines for the size and length of boats
in the marina.  I generally replace my lines about once every year to
eighteen months.  I keep my old ones in the laz to use to place on nearby
boats when their "shoestrings" break.  As we get into the winter and spring
we get some pretty good fronts moving through so the "shoestrings" break on
a fairly routine basis.  We just got a new dock master (young kid who is not
very boat smart) so it will take a while for the folks who spend a good
amount of time on the docks to "educate" him on what is right and what is
not such a good idea.  Nice kid who is eager to learn.

On the life vests, we use the Coast Guard approved cheapies in our safety
bag for the numbers game when we are on the river.  We also have two
inflatable for when we get serious.

Bob on the "NoKaOi"