[Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:49:49 -0500

Alice,
I've been away and am just now getting around to answering email. I'll try
not to cover the same ground as others who responded.

We sail a 1991 R22 recycled by GBI in 1998. We keep her in a slip in Rock
Hall on Maryland's Eastern Shore (above the Bay Bridge) inthe summer and
trailer her home in the winter. Where will you be sailing?

My responses to your questions are below.

At 07:58 PM 11/15/2002 -0500, Alice wrote:
>I plan to sail on the Chesapeake Bay - mostly daysailing but, hopefully with
>more experience, some overnights in nearby waters.

This is what we do though when we first got the boat we overnighted every
weekend as we were drysailing (keeping the boat on her trailer in a lot
next to the ramp) The Chesapeake is a great place for overnighting - lots
of very protected creeks with good anchorages. Some bug protection is a
must - we have the pop-top enclosure (we were able to buy a used one) that
really makes the boat much more livable at anchor or overnight at the dock.

>I've been sailing for a while but don't feel very competent and, as I will
>be sailing alone, am
>particularly concerned about safety and the power to get there and back if
>the wind dies.  Did I mention that it takes me almost an hour to get to the
>Bay under sail?  I was considering a 4 stroke 8HP or 9.9 HP motor, but then I
>checked the prices!!!  Looking for something used at this point.

You might look for a used Honda 4 stroke - they've been making them for a
long time - IF you can find a good Honda mechanic to work on it. We went
with a new outboard (and financed more of the boat because we did) because
we wanted to be absolutely sure (well, as much as you ever can be) of our
motor.  We've been very pleased with our 1998 Honda 8. We had a Yamaha two
stroke on a previous boat that was extremely reliable as well. If you want
electric start your choices are a bit more limited but I think it's a good
idea. I have weak shoulders and short arms and haven't been able to start
our Honda for a couple of years.

>What about the electrical system?  Should I consider an upgrade to
>110V ??

Because we keep Fretless in a slip and because we spend a lot of nights at
the dock (we drive 2 hours to the boat) we really like the shore power. We
have an electric fan which pushes a lot of air in the summer and electric
heater which extends the season on both ends. We charge the battery and
have an electric hot-pot for tea water. We also have a clip on electric
light which we use for reading and lighting the galley at the dock.

>And what is a co-axial cable?  At present, VHF and GPS will be
>handheld (cheaper), but I want to install on the boat, those things needed in
>the structure itself (add-ons can come later).

We have a handheld VHF and GPS which are sufficient for our needs, although
there are times when we've wished for a masthead antena for the VHF.

>Do I need a head or is a portapotti sufficient?

Depends on what you are comfortable with and what your pumpout facilities
are. The porta-potti is simpler and in my view it is easier to control
odors with a porta-potti. We have one. We also liked the interior layout
with the curtained porta-potti enclosure by the v-berth as opposed to the
enclosed head.

>Should I get a hatch?  What happens on summer nights -
>very hot inside?  would a hatch be needed for ventilation?

Many recycled boats will come with hatches. Ours didn't and we had Stan
install one over the head. One of the first things we do when we anchor or
come into the dock on a hot summer afternoon is open the hatch and the two
front opening ports which we like as well. Someone else said you can never
have too much ventilation on a boat and we agree. The Chesapeake is very
hot and humid in the summer.

>And do I need electric outlets inside to charge the GPS, VHF, etc??

If you get the shore power package you should get a couple of 110 outlets.
Fretless also came with two DC outlets, one in the cockpit and one on the
panel. We have since rewired (installed breakers instead of fuses) and
added two more DC outlets. Both our GPS and VHF (7 and 4 years old now) use
regular alkaline batteries. We don't want to have to wait for a recharge on
either.

>Little by little the price keeps climbing however, I don't plan on another
>boat anytime in the
>forseeable future.

That was our plan as well. Fretless has been everything we hoped for and
more. We didn't really expect that she would be so liveable at the dock. We
really thing of her as a summer home. We often drive to the boat Friday
night and stay through Sunday night and drive up early Monday morning. Of
course the house and garden maintenance have suffered but that has seemed a
small price to pay for out summers on the boat.

Best wishes and good luck.
Mary Lou (and Fred)
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD