[Rhodes22-list] Airstream Genset

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:03:56 -0500

Brad,

  Yes, it would be to power the blower on the LP furnace. It is DC, and can
be operated without an electrical hookup from just the battery.  However,
the draw would be significant on a cold night.  The whole night would
probably more than the battery could handle.  I'm sure the Honda would
produce more power than would be needed.  In fact, I probably would run the
furnace for a while on battery alone, then start the generator to recharge
the battery. (our current Airstream has only 1 battery)

We have a 25' Excella.  It is great for two, although we felt a little
cramped with all of the baby stuff in the living room.  We've been
considering a much larger version (like 34' or so) in order to handle
additional children when that becomes important.

If it were just me, I'd live without the heater. I've done my share of cold
weather and high altitude backpacking.  However, there is the fresh water
system to consider (as well as Dylan).

-----Original Message-----
From: brad haslett [mailto:flybrad@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 1:48 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Airstream Genset

Doug, you mentioned in an earlier post that you towed
an Airstream.  I lived in one part time (32ft) for two
years but didn't tow.  If I did you can bet it would
have been with the biggest rig I could get my hands
on.  I heated my Airstream electric only with three
small heaters.  Experimenting with the Honda I have
discovered it will power one electric heater at the
750watt level no problem.  It sounds like what you
want to do is power the blower on the LP furnace,
correct?  The Honda would probably handle that easily,
the blower motor doesn't draw that much power but I
can't remember whether its AC or DC.  The Honda
produces both but the DC side is for battery charging
only.  The most efficient way to consume DC would be
to let the Honda's AC side power the campers/boats
charging system.  On the AC side you will face the
same issue I am on the boat.  When you're powering a
high draw application, you have to make sure no one
plugs anything else in or turns something else on. No
damage will be done but the genset will trip its
breaker. There were a couple of times I lost power in
my space for the Airstream and the Honda would have
saved me a trip to a motel.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"
--- "Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY)"