[Rhodes22-list] lightning protection

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:08:30 -0800 (PST)

Bill, we agree on at least one point; its a poorly
understood phenomenon.  The issue of our masts not
going all the way to the keel is exactly the problem.
When the current gets to the bottom of the mast its
going where?  The whole idea of a protection system is
to give it a path.  When airplanes take a lightning
strike its the fiberglass parts that get destroyed,
same with boats.  While the Rhodes22 wouldn't sink, it
would fry you.  The fact that one has not been hit is
not suprising, statistically speaking, because of the
low production numbers.  I can understand your
concerns about not wanting to be on deck attaching
lines during a storm.  That is why you would want to
be proactive and head for home first and then use
protection only after determining that the storm is
arriving before your destination.  I'm not looking for
sailing "boogiemen" but I think this area is analogous
to windshear in aviation in the seventies.  "Since we
don't understand it and can't explain it, lets not
talk about it".  Brad.

PS.  It was my semi-annual sinus flare-up but thank
you for your concern.