[Rhodes22-list] Hand held GPS- What unit to get?

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:36:50 -0500

Dan,

I have been using a bottom of the line Magellan handheld GPS for three or 4
years and have been just thrilled with it.  I doubt there's a nickel's worth
of difference between the accuracy of any of them.  Most of the features in
most of them are silly for what most of us do with our boats.

Defender is selling the next higher model (the 310) for $100, and I am
strongly considering getting a second one:

http://www.defender.com

Get the external cable as well.  This tethers the unit to the boat, and
you'll never have to change the batteries--it runs off a minuscule amount of
house current and I turn it on as soon as I board and don't turn it off
until I am once again on my mooring for the night.

I keep mine in the Ocean Cup Holders, discussed earlier this year, mounted
on the stern rail.  I always sail from Captains Seats, and the GPS is either
next to my right or left hand, depending on which side of the boat I'm on.
I move it back and forth when I tack, and use it so frequently that I am
seriously considering springing for another $100 so I won't have to switch
it back and forth.

I use it for everything.  It is my watch.  It is my steering compass.  It is
my knot meter.  It maintains my waypoints.   I have mechanical back-ups for
all of these functions, but I use the GPS all the time, and the others now
rarely.

The most important function, and one for which I have no reliable mechanical
back up (ask my wife), is the accuracy with which it allows me to figure out
how much time it will take me to get home.  I have always known I can be in
our kitchen within an hour of hooking onto my mooring.  The hard part, and
one which I have never done well, is estimating how long it will take to get
from wherever I am to the mooring.

By simply plugging my mooring and a few waypoints into the GPS (They are
always there) I can steer the shortest course, and, more importantly, I can
see how fast I am traveling over ground, and exactly how far I am from the
waypoint.  If I'm not going to make it on time, I know when to lower my
sails and motor.  Combined with a cell phone the GPS has removed a huge
source of unnecessary friction at home.  If I say I'll be back at 7:00, my
wife knows I'll really be back at 7:00.

I'm sure any bottom of the line GPS will do the trick.  I like the Magellan,
in part, because I am familiar with it.  It is easy to use with one hand,
which is the way I always use it.

Bill Effros