[Rhodes22-list] Emailing: hardware 006

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:29:08 -0500

Gee Anne, I think we've just converted to something similar to what you
have (which is so superior to our old "pull on the out haul line and then
try to cleat it off on the horn cleat while letting out the mainsheet"
version). I'm not sure I understand your problem from your description. Our
slider has a thumscrew on it which is more a pain in the neck than a help.
Stan told us that the whole thing works better when the slider slides
freely. As for the lines, at times when we've furled the sail in rising
winds we've reset the outhaul line on the horn cleat and then furled the
sail to take up the slack. That seems to work ok. Our new fittings route
the outhaul line through a turning block like the one on the top of your
boom, down through the boom to where it cleats off on a cam cleat mounted
vertically on a starboard bracket. I can't see if this what you have from
the pic. I guess with the new arrangement when we furl it, the main will
flap a bit more as we'll have to make sure there is slack in the outhaul
line above the cam cleat. In general operation - just unfurling the main, I
expect it to be far superior to our old arrangement.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA/ Swan Creek, MD