[Rhodes22-list] boat show recap

DeWald, Michael Roy DewalMR@TheLumberYard.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:02:39 -0400

Thanks for the info Mary Lou.  I enjoyed you pictures from the Chesapeake
Rhendevous.  That really looked like alot of fun.  Hopefully, my wife and I
will be able to join in in the future.  How does the Rhodes handle the big
power boat wakes on the bay???

Mike DeWald

Mike,
I think we corresponded once off the TSBB list about your marina. We are now
at
Swan Creek outside of Rock Hall and have cruised the R22 for 5 or 6 days at
time stopping at a marina every 2nd or third night to clean up and empty the

porta potti (We have a 1991 recycled). We are tent campers from a ways back
and
to us this seems the lap of luxury. Don't know if you saw the pop-top
enclosure
but check out some of the pictures on the owners site and some of Mark
Kaynor's
pictures from the Memorial Day Chesapeake Rhendezvous. The enclosure makes
the
interior seem a lot bigger. We've found that our work schedules limit our
cruising time not the boat.

The recycled boats look new. You can get things like new sails and interior
cushions which make the boat feel new. We really liked the fact that we
could
have a lot of the upgrades done as part of the initial purchase price. Of
course we're still upgrading ;-).

Your point in another email about getting roped into the maintenance issues
with a larger boat is exactly why we love out boat the size she is. We can
afford the luxury items because they are small and we can trailer her home
in
the winter which makes working on her fun. We are one of the smallest boats
in
our marina. We've made friends with lots of folks on bigger boats but have
no
desire to go bigger ourselves.

Good luck whatever you decide. If you have more questions about sailing,
cruising or keeping an R22 just ask.

We meant to go aboard the CP 25 but got distracted and didn't make it back.
One
of the things that struck me was how much she rolled when someone stepped
aboard. Fred and I were surprised. Don't know how she'd be under sail. I
know
the hull Hutchins uses for the CP25 is (or was)the same as a Watkins 25 so
you
might investigate those as well.

Best of luck (and fun) with your decision!
Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA