[Rhodes22-list] Short Haul tow vehicle

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 11:33:26 EDT 2003

Rummy,

If I'm not mistaken all the Volvo turbo's are
inter-cooled.  I flew with a guy once who had just
bought a new one and was following his wife around
town to see if she was allowing for the proper turbo
cool down time (don't know if they're still married).
Jet engines and turbos are simular in that they need a
couple of minutes of cooling time after hard use
(i.e., reverse thrust or highway driving for a Volvo)
to keep from depositing carbon on the turbine blades,
"coking".  Usually, the trip off the interstate exit
ramp to the nearest gas pump is sufficient.  I would
think that pulling a boat up a ramp in the lowest gear
at low speed would barely spool the turbo up.  On my
Mercedes diesel the turbo didn't kick in till about 5
seconds after you floored it and you didn't really
feel it till much later, much like what Bill
described.  But then again, it didn't do much of
anything except make smoke and noise until about 90mph
and then it could keep up with anything short of an
Indy car.

Brad