[Rhodes22-list] I Hate My Trailer

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Aug 9 11:03:38 EDT 2003

Steve,

I just looked in a catalog of standard structural steel shapes:

An S 18 X 70 X 36" long steel I-Beam will weigh about 3 ft * 70 lbs/ft = 210
lbs.  Bolted lengthwise onto the trailer tongue in front of the bow arm with
a couple of U-Bolts, this I-Beam would give you approximately 16" width of
walkway X 36" long with about a 2-5/8" high flange on each side to serve as
a toerail.  I would leave it open on each end so it will drain well.
Painted black with a little sand thrown into the wet paint for nonskid, this
could solve your trailer's weight distribution problem & make boat retrieval
a much drier/safer operation.  Any vender that sells structural steel should
be able to cut this piece of I-Beam for you.  Note: You could also drill tie
down holes into the flanges of the I-Beam & use your walkway as a HD rack to
carry other stuff like picnic coolers, bicycles, tool boxes, etc.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium