[Rhodes22-list] Titanic

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 21:13:53 EDT 2003

A few months ago, there was a discussion on whether the Titanic was
considered unsinkable.  I couldn't find the link then, but I saw this today
on "The Smoking Gun" web site while I was investigating a co-workers urban
myth.  I thought I'd pass it along.  I hope someone other than me remembers
the thread.

Jim Connolly

http://www.snopes.com/titanic/unsink.htm

Is it true that the Titanic was really believed to be "unsinkable" back in
1912, or was that belief a product of latter day myth-making? In the
example quoted above, Titanic writer Walter Lord claims that the White Star
line never advertised her as such.