[Rhodes22-list] Oxidation of hull gelcoat color

jmh123 at juno.com jmh123 at juno.com
Mon Dec 1 17:56:41 EST 2003

I have an '85 R22. We took delivery in the spring and put sailing ahead of deck/hull maintenance (other than thorough washings).  This boat hadn't seen wax or polish for a long time.

On several ocassions, we took a reasonable sized section of the top sides and went through the pre-wax process. We were working with out a buffer, but found we couldn't get anything close to a shine.

After extrapolating the labor and cost of materials, reading the reviews of "refinishers", etc.-- I decided to try the Polliglow product. After haul out in September, we used the Polliglow cleaner and had to do some wet sanding with 600 grit to get the chalk off the dark blue hull. We put on the recommended 5 coats. We spent about 2 days on this. It was not super easy --but I think it was a lot less work than the other method.

I was very pleased with the result. It doesn't look like new, but it does look good. I'll be interested to see what it looks like when we take the tarp off in the spring.

I'm anticipating having to put on 2 or 3 additional coats of the product once or twice a year.

John
S/V Clarity