[Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

Mark Kaynor mark@kaynor.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:45:15 -0500

Roger,

That's fantastic! Wish you could have gotten some pictures.  My brother
pointed some out to us when we were up in Maine last summer, but they were
too far away for our wimpy digital camera to get a good shot.

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402@centurytel.net>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 4:36 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

Hi Everybody,

I was sitting here at my computer working on some internet job searches when
I looked out my window just in time to see a mature male bald eagle land in
the tree right above my dock!  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I've lived on
Sanford Lake since 1977 & have never seen a bald eagle here until now.  I
jumped up to go get my 35 mm camera.  I got back just in time to see a
female bald eagle join this male (a nesting pair perhaps?!?).  The female
eagle didn't land in the tree.  Instead, she began diving on a flock of
about 12 bufflehead ducks, which were in the water feeding on the sandbar
about 100 yards off our beach.  The male eagle joined her & you should have
seen the ducks scatter in all directions!  My 35 mm camera takes several
seconds to boot up from a cold start.  By the time the camera was ready to
shoot, the action had moved off down the lake out of range.  I went out on
our deck with my binoculars & saw both eagles snare ducks in their talons in
mid flight!  They both flew off with a duck in their talons in same
southerly direction down the lake!  It was totally cool.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium