[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:51:32 -0500

Stan, et al:  These discussions are educational and prove the concept of our
form of government.  We all have ideas as to what it takes to make
Washington - and thus the country -  work.  It is only by being receptive to
the ideas of others that we can appreciate the numerous challenges our
Congress men and women are faced with every day.  Over the past twelve years
I have the privilege of going to Washington once or twice a year to "lobby"
on behalf of the Medicare beneficiary.  As a result I have become known by
several members of the House and by our two Senators.  You can pretty much
get a feel for how you issue is fairing by the amount of access - if any -
you get.  Does being denied access make me quit?  No, of course not.  I work
the staff's, write letters, e-mail and telephone.  Our voices are
appreciated.  It is only when we throw up our hands in disgust that we lose.

While the process is frustrating, it is none-the-less necessary.  I liked
Greenspan's advice:  pay the debt before a tax cut.  While the economy may
have been slowing before the first Bush tax cut, it certainly has not gotten
any better.  Speeding up the programmed cuts probably will not do much for
the economy either.  Iraq?  North Korea? Those are a good question.  Will
the Military-Industrial Complex improve the economy?  Only time will tell.

In the meantime April 15th looms and I have to figure out how I'm going to
pay my taxes.  Hopefully my fair share.