[Rhodes22-list] Newbie anchoring questions

Christine Allison sailnut at asan.com
Tue Jul 22 17:54:34 EDT 2003

< Depending on the wind direction,
> current and the lee shore, that may or may not be a problem.>

Do your sailing conditions customarily require you to anchor close to the
shore?  I sail on lower N.Y. Bay and the Sound so in general I anchor far
enough off to give plenty of room to swing and also to avoid going on the
hard when the tide goes out.

I have found that with the board down a Rhodes falls off to leeward
amazingly slowly even if the wind is blowing thereby giving plenty of time
to get aft to the tiller.

I also rely on a tiller pilot when single handing.  For years I have found
it to be a perfect shipmate for long solo passages and very helpful for
holding course (going slow ahead) when hoisting sails or clearing snarls on
the foredeck.

Richard Smith