[Rhodes22-list] Bill E where is Brooklyn

Bill Berner bberner at optonline.net
Sat Jun 7 12:05:27 EDT 2003

Some thoughts on your planned trip.

Sounds to me like two days 1 night to get to NYC.  The max I've cruised in a
day is around 45 nm.

If I were you I would make the stopover in Piermont, NY on the West side of
the river just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge.  There are a few marinas that
have transient slips.  The marinas are almost in the center of town, which
is a very quaint, if now somewhat over developed, hamlet with good
restaurants, some cute shops, and even a club, the Turning Point with live
music (folk/jazz) on weekends.  Great restaurant is the Freelance Café.
There are also one or 2 waterfront dock and dines, where the view is good,
and the food is dock and dine quality.  It'll be about 25 nm from there down
to midtown Manhaatan.

On the east side of the river you can probably get a slip at the Tarrytown
Marina, or my club, the Washington Irving Boat Club.  Both have good
restaurants, and it's an easy walk to the grocery store and town if you need
anything.

If you want to go the drop the hook route, I'd suggest either the east side
of the river just inside of Croton Point, close to the swin area of the
beach.  It's quite protected in anything but a north wind, or Nyack, right
around the mooring field.

2 possible spots to stay, on the Manhattan side of the river are the 79th St
Boat Basin.  You won't get a slip, but have a reasonable chance of there
being a mooring available.  The other is Surfside 3, at the Chelsea Piers.
They take reservations, I think minimum charges are for 30'.  Don't recall
the $$/ft.

Other possibilities on the NJ side are Liberty Landing Marina, and Newport
Cove.  Both are a bit further south than Port Imperial.  Liberty Landing has
a shuttle ferry that goes to Manhattan, Newport Cove is right by the PATH
Train.  There are restaurants at both.

Let me know when you

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway