[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Repair Question

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:12:42 -0500

Alex,

Thanks; it is a good tip. I use a similar technique but with a different
product. I use CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealant); a two part product
designed as a wood sealant. When I was making repairs on the Bantam I
visited aseveral Wooden Boat sites (I still do) and heard rave reviews about
this product. Most of these guys liked West products but felt CPES was
vastly superior to thinned West Epoxy as a pre-coat. It is designed for
pentration and absortion into wood products from the start, no thinning
needed. On the CPES web site they claim an absortion rate of 4X over thinned
Epoxy and 9x over standard Epoxy Resin.

I have used CPES extensively as a first layer(s) on my wooden Rhodes Bantem.
It is an extremely thin Epoxy Sealant that paints (or sprays) on. Dry wood
soaks this stuff right up and it dries fast. I have the injection kit for as
well but the needle is to big for the crack. PO painted R22 cabin hatch with
some type of Epoxy as well. I sanded that down last summer and applied CPES
followed by several coats  Marine Z Spar Varnish.

Sunday I covered the bare tiller with two coats of CPES and let CPES drip in
the crack. Last night I stuck a razor knife in crack to open up a little and
drizzled in some epoxy laminating resin (designed for wood use) left over
from past repairs on the Bantam. I put three clamps on tiller and when I
inspect today it should be ready for a light sanding and then varnish build
up. I like easy projects like this. Not hard to do and the wood looks
awesome when redone.

I still need to figure out a way to keep rain water off the cabin step....

Thanks,

Wally