[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Heading South

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 9 08:26:19 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Effros
To: rhodes-list at sailnet.com
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: Heading South

Alex,

The news from the Keys is all good.

Start by getting the new Maptech Embassy guide to the  "Florida Keys & Gold
Coast" -- second edition.  I bought it at West Marine in Miami.  I don't see
it in their new catalog, or in anyone else's catalog either.  But I'm sure
they can order it for you.  Don't take any of the earlier editions.
Together with the Frank Papy Cruising Guide, you've got everything you need.

In addition to correct updated information, the new Maptech Embassy Guides
have aerial pictures that are surprisingly useful on the water, and harbor
charts from Stuart & St. Lucie Inlet to the Dry Tortugas.

Trailer sailing this region is a "can't lose" proposition.  There are ramps,
slips, shore power, moorings, dry storage, trailer parking, anchorages, and
marinas everywhere.  The only thing you must decide is what you want to do.
Costs are reasonable.  You can get a transient slip with shore power at
Dinner Key marina in Miami for $23.54 a day -- tax included. Anchorages are
free.  Moorings are available up and down the keys.

I encountered 2 schools of thought regarding Keys cruising: 1) "Seen one
key, you've seen them all" and 2)  "Cruising all the Keys is the best thing
you can do in your life."  Both schools agree the trip back from Key West to
Miami can get nasty.  The Moorings recommends sailing from Miami to Key
West, then letting their people return the boat to Miami at a cost of $500.

The first time I take my boat down there, I suspect I'll keep my trailer
near-by so I can easily correct for any research errors I may make.

Our friend, who lives in Coconut Grove, just bought a $1,500 25 foot
Catalina.  His girlfriend, who lived on a boat in the bay, took us out, and
showed us the sights.

If you've ever wondered where all the hippies of the 60's went, part of the
answer is the Keys.  Even in Biscayne Bay there are people with funky
boat-houses living wherever they can.  Not to mention what's left of
"Stiltsville."  There is a huge semi-hidden economy barely a stone's throw
from the mainland.

The logistics of a true Keys gathering seem dicey at best.  But if you're
going to be in Connecticut I'd happily drive to wherever you'll be.  Just
let me know.

Bill Effros