[Rhodes22-list] smooth boat bottoms

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Mon Nov 24 19:14:06 EST 2003

Wally:
	See the excerpted engineering study below and since our Rhodes
are not the typical racing hulls, maybe the middle paragraph is
relevant:

"sprintcar (Mechanical) Aug 26, 2002
It can have an effect when you get up around 180 mph on something like a
Winston Cup car but as the CD of these vehicles decreases, so does any
surface effect. Most of the wind tunnel testing for R&D is done in
primer.

We did testing a few years ago on boats and found the reduction in hull
friction made a difference with drag boats made a difference on the
clock. The slower the boat the greater the effect, since the faster
classes had less hull surface in contact.

We also tried it on golf balls - got 5 to 10 yds longer drives. So
there's something to be gained by surface treatment in certain cases,
but I doubt the 'guarantee' has much data behind it.  Keep the wheels on
the ground"