[Rhodes22-list] Oxidation of hull gelcoat color

mkorsten at optonline.net mkorsten at optonline.net
Sun Nov 30 11:02:42 EST 2003

My recently acquired Rhodes 22 originally had a black hull. The hull  is still recognizable as black but has a chalky white layer of oxidation superimposed on the black color of the gel coat (which is otherwise in excellent shape).  Last spring, I tried to remove the oxidation by applying (using a 6" WEN random orbit Waxer/Polisher) Meguiar's Color Restorer (Mirror Glaze 44). This was followed by hand application of 3M Marine Protective Liquid Wax.  The chalkiness of the gel coat seemed to disappear and the boat was launched.  Unfortunately,  within a few weeks, the chalkiness reappeared and the hull looked no better than when I started the repair. Does anyone have experience with this type of problem? Do I need to use compound to get rid of oxidation? Can this be done without harming the gelcoat? If I need to repaint the hull, any warnings or suggestions? Thank you in advance for your collective help.