[Rhodes22-list] Schaeffer CF 500 furler

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 08:59:06 EST 2004

Everyone,

This list is wonderful source of great information and opinions about the R22.  I really do appreciate all of you.  It will be a long time before Phoenix is ready to sail, so these days I'm just planning her commissioning.  I'm lucky enough to have other boats to sail in the meantime, so life's treating me pretty well.  Fixing her up is part of the fun for me.

I have decided that changing headsails with the mast up is important to me. So again, I want to ask your opinion.  For both trailer sailing and ease of changing headsails, what is the best furler?

I asked that question of a rigger who sells all of them and he recommended the Schaeffer CF 550.  It has a plastic luff extrusion, just like the CDI, so it's good for trailer sailing and it has a head swivel like the Harken that rides on the luff track but is hoisted up by the boat's jib halyard or pulled down by the crew when sail changing.

What furlers will do a good job of both of these tasks?  If you have a Schaeffer CF 550, how do you like it?

Thanks

PT