[Rhodes22-list] Blocking the boat for bottom painting

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Wed Mar 24 08:55:54 EST 2004

I know what you mean.
My 6000 pound 250 SeaRay could be blocked with three points - one under the forward keel and 1 each at the transom chines.
Sailboats are harder to do.

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> jbconnolly at comcast.net 03/24/04 08:47AM >>>
Following up my post last week about bottom painting.

For you engineers out there, do you need to torque the centerboard cover bolts to a particular value, or just uniformly?

Does anyone have a photo of your boat blocked for painting as described (i.e., jack up the trailer, support the boat and lower the trailer clear to paint)?  The only boat I've done this to was a powerboat, and it was simple.  The transom was hugely thick solid glass to support a 500 LB+ outboard on a bracket, so blocks under the keel in 2 locations plus stands under the corners of the transom did the trick.  I know I'm obsessing, but I don't want to break the boat.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03