[Rhodes22-list] Battery chemisrty

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun May 2 14:29:02 EDT 2004

Yes.  Chlorine gas, used as military poison gas in WWI, and perhaps
elsewhere.  This was a problem in WWII submarines, and has been a problem
with seawater leaking into submarine battery wells as recently as the
1980's.

Having said that, a submarine battery has 126 cells, each ~18" square and 6'
tall, and weighs many tons, with lots of electrolyte (acid).  It is also
kept (during much of its normal use) in a sealed container with only so much
air.

It is theoretically a problem.  Practically speaking, I wouldn't worry too
much about it.  If your battery is leaking into the bilge, I would worry
more about cleaning it up without burning myself, waste disposal, and the
possibility of corroding metals in the bilge.

My recycled boat did not come with a battery box.  I plan on adding it.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
1985 recycled '03